Meghan Markle went on intense SAS training ahead of Prince Harry wedding ‘in fear of kidnap’

Meghan Markle took part in a staged kidnapping as part of intensive personal protection training in the lead-up to her wedding to Prince Harry.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who stepped back from royal duties in 2020, celebrate their fourth wedding anniversary on Thursday, May 19.

However, ahead of their 2018 nuptials, former actress Meghan, 40, took part on in a special two-day training course, led by the British Army's most elite unit the SAS.

It was designed to help her deal with a potential hostage situation and other security threats which may arise due to her drastically increased profile following her engagement to the Prince in November 2017.

All major royals have reportedly completed the course, including the Duchess of Cambridge, Meghan's sister-in-law Kate Middleton, when she became a member of the royal family, reports the Star.

However the "unusually high" number of received by the Sussexes meant unlike Kate, Meghan was told to complete before her wedding to Harry in May 2018.

The claim is made in a book co-authored by royal journalists Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, Finding Freedom.

"Meghan took part in a staged kidnapping, where she was bundled up in a car by a 'terrorist,' taken to a different location, and then 'saved' by officers firing fake guns (the kind used in Hollywood films) for realism," the book says.

"During the mock kidnapping, Meghan was taught to develop a relationship with the enemy. She was also instructed on how to drive a car while in pursuit. "

The training – which as well as driving under pressure, teaches key skills such as noticing anything unusual in your surroundings, and passing on coded messages – is designed to "frighten the life out of anyone" according to The Sun.

The training would have been "the toughest, provided by the Army's finest… who have done everything imaginable during service in Iraq, Afghanistan and Northern Ireland," said former army intelligence officer Gerald Moor.

A mammoth security operation was in place on the day of the wedding with a 'ring of steel' formed around Windsor Castle where the ceremony beamed around the world took place.

Reportedly costing up to £30 million – it included a perimeter put in force around the castle grounds, snipers on rooftops, officers with binoculars at surveillance points and sniffer dogs regularly patrolling the streets.

Last week it was revealed a total of 170 stalkers were recorded as bothering the royal family in 2021 – with 10 being categorised as being of the 'highest danger level.'

One former head of royal protection said he believed publicity around Prince Andrew's court case regarding alleged sexual abuse and also Harry and Meghan quitting royal duties may have helped to fuel the surge.

For your latest royal news, sign up to OK!'s weekly Royal newsletter here.

Source: Read Full Article