Deliciously Ella reveals her daughter's strep A scare

Deliciously Ella reveals strep A scare after she spent the night in A&E with her daughter who ‘had signs’ of the killer bug

  • Deliciously Ella, 31, revealed she had spent 7 hours in hospital with her daughter
  • The mother-of-two said she had ‘strep signs’ but is now doing much better
  • Fitness guru Ella praised ‘angel’ doctors and nurses who were ‘consistently kind’

Deliciously Ella has revealed her relief after spending the night in A&E with her daughter who was showing ‘strep signs’ only to find it was a false alarm.

The London-based health guru, 31, whose real name is Ella Mills, shared a photo on her Instagram story of her daughter’s legs which appears to have been taken in hospital while they waited to be seen.

Ella’s story comes as parents have been warned to look out for the signs of strep A in their children as the bug sweeps the nation.

The mother-of-two wrote: ‘A night in A&E with my gal. And the absolute angels that are NHS doctors and nurses.

Fitness guru Deliciously Ella, real name Ella Mills (pictured on This Morning) revealed she had spent the night in A&E with her daughter following a strep A scare

‘Seven hours there and they were consistently kind, patient and helpful, despite being extraordinarily busy. 

‘She had some strep signs and a rash, but home now ok antibiotics.’ (sic)

In a later Instagram story, she revealed she was back at work today after going to bed at 4am following the trip to hospital. 

What are the symptoms of strep A? How does it spread? And is it the same as scarlet fever? Everything you need to know about the killer bug sweeping Britain 

What is Strep A?

Group A Streptococcus (Group A Strep or Strep A) bacteria can cause many different infections.

The bacteria are commonly found in the throat and on the skin, and some people have no symptoms.

Infections cause by Strep A range from minor illnesses to serious and deadly diseases.

They include the skin infection impetigo, scarlet fever and strep throat.

While the vast majority of infections are relatively mild, sometimes the bacteria cause life-threatening illness called invasive Group A Streptococcal disease.

What is invasive Group A Streptococcal disease?

Invasive Group A Strep disease is sometimes a life-threatening infection in which the bacteria have invaded parts of the body, such as the blood, deep muscle or lungs.

Two of the most severe, but rare, forms of invasive disease are necrotising fasciitis and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome.

Necrotising fasciitis is also known as the ‘flesh-eating disease’ and can occur if a wound gets infected.

Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome is a rapidly progressing infection causing low blood pressure/shock and damage to organs such as the kidneys, liver and lungs.

This type of toxic shock has a high death rate.

READ MAILONLINE’S FULL Q&A ON STREP A. 

Ella, who is mother to Skye and May, did not specify which daughter she had taken to hospital but her fears for her daughter’s health echo the worries of parents around the UK amid a strep A outbreak.

Nine children in the UK have now died of the normally harmless bug after the death of five-year-old Stella-Lily McCorkindale from Belfast suffered a life-threatening complicationn.

Stella-Lilly was treated at the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children after falling ill last week but died on Monday. Her father Robert has since thanked people for their ‘prayers, thoughts, feelings and love’ following his daughter’s tragic death. 

Strep A is bacteria that cause a range of infections, including strep throat, tonsillitis and impetigo — a skin infection. It can also cause scarlet fever.

In a social media post, it said: ‘Sadly, the governors, staff and students of Black Mountain Primary School have been informed of the untimely passing of one of our P2 pupils, Stella-Lily McCorkindale.’ 

It added the ‘bright and popular schoolgirl’ would be ‘greatly missed’. 

Following Stella-Lily’s death, Northern Ireland’s Public Health Agency issued a letter to parents of pupils in primary one to three — children aged five to eight — informing them that Stella-Lily had been diagnosed with severe Strep A.

The youngsters were advised to go to a clinic for a preventative course of antibiotics.

As cases are on the rise among young children in the UK, parents are being warned to look out for symptoms in their children. 

And a warning from the UK Health Security Agency urged doctors to set a ‘low threshold’ for sending children with symptoms to hospital and giving them antibiotics. 

However, on Tuesday GPs warned they were at risk of becoming overwhelmed by the growing number of parents concerned their children might have symptoms.

In a letter to patients seen by MailOnline, a GP surgery in Oxfordshire said: ‘We are in danger of being overwhelmed and unable to offer appointments to all the patients we need to.

‘However we understand it’s difficult to know when you or your child needs to see a doctor so to help with this, if you are concerned about a viral infection please look at this helpful advice before contacting the surgery.’

Doctors union, the British Medical Association (BMA), said NHS England must start directing patients to only NHS 111 initially to ensure GPs are not overwhelmed.

Dr Kieran Sharrock, the BMA’s acting chair of GPC England, said: ‘GPs are seeing an increase in demand about Strep A, but what mustn’t happen is that general practice gets overwhelmed.’

‘We are already working at capacity, with too few doctors, and need to make sure that we remain available for other patients who need us.’

From the ‘bubbly’ seven-year-old whose father desperately tried CPR to save, to the four-year-old who loved exploring: All the victims of Strep A so far

Muhammad Ibrahim Ali

The four-year-old boy attended Oakridge School and Nursery in High Wycombe, Bucks.

He died at home from a cardiac arrest in mid-November after contracting a Strep A infection.

He was prescribed antibiotics.

His mother Shabana Kousar told the Bucks Free Press: ‘The loss is great and nothing will replace that. 

‘He was very helpful around the house and quite adventurous, he loved exploring and enjoyed the forest school, his best day was a Monday and said how Monday was the best day of the week.

Muhammad Ibrahim Ali, who attended Oakridge School and Nursery in High Wycombe, Bucks, died after contracting the bacterial infection

Hannah Roap 

The ‘bubbly’ and ‘beautiful’ seven-year-old is the only child to have died from Strep A in Wales so far.

Her devastated parents told how their ‘hearts had broken into a million pieces’. 

The first signs of the infection were mild, Hanna’s father Abul took his daughter to the GP after cough got worse overnight. 

She was prescribed steroids and sent home, but she died less than 12 hours later. 

Mr Roap recalled how he desperately tried to resuscitate his child: ‘She stopped breathing at 8pm but we were not immediately aware because she was sleeping.

‘I did CPR, I tried to revive her but it didn’t work. Paramedics arrived and continued the CPR but it was too late.’   

Mr Roap said the family was ‘utterly devastated’ and awaiting answers from the hospital.

The family believe she might have lived if she was initially given antibiotics. 

Hanna Roap, who attended Victoria Primary School in Penarth, Wales, died after contracting Strep A last month. Her family say they have been ‘traumatised’ by her death

Stella-Lily McCorkindale

Five-year-old Stella-Lily McCokindale is the ninth British child to have died following a Strep A infection, and the first in Northern Ireland. 

She died on December 5 at Royal Belfast Hospital.

In a tribute on social media, her father Robert said the pair had ‘loved every minute’ of being together as they went on scooter and bike rides.

‘If prays, thoughts, feelings and love could of worked she would of walked out of that hospital holding her daddy’s hand,’ he said.  

Stella attended Black Mountain Primary School, who said she was ‘a bright and talented little girl’ and described her death as a ‘tragic loss’. 

Five-year-old Stella-Lily McCokindale who attended Black Mountain Primary School in Belfast died in early December after contracting Strep A

Four of the six other deaths include:

  • An unidentified six-year-old pupil who attended Ashford Church of England Primary School in England in Surrey.
  • A primary school pupil who attended St John’s School in Ealing, west London. 
  • A 12-year-old boy attending Colfe’s School in Lewisham, south east London. 
  • An unidentified child at Morelands Primary School in Waterlooville.

Source: Read Full Article