IT does not always pay to be loyal when shopping. Big names may be what you trust but they come with a mark-up.
This week, after a cereal recall, it was found Weetabix produces some “own-brand” offerings. And the firm behind the breakfast favourite is not the only major name making near-exact products for the big supermarkets. Here is how to get savvy, and saving, with own-brands.
- BOWLED OVER: It is good to know Weetabix’s made-for-others products come with cheaper price tags. Weetabix Fruit And Fibre costs £1.29 for a 500g box at Poundstretcher, while Asda’s fruit and fibre costs £1.45 for 750g (19.3p per 100g or 96p for 500g) but the two are virtually identical. SAVING: 33p per 500g.
- PAIN RELIEF: Feeling under the weather? You could be paying up to 16 times more for brand-name medicines that do exactly the same as the supermarkets’ own. Shoppers in Asda can buy a 14- tablet pack of Panadol Actifast paracetamol for £2.70 — that’s 19.3p per tablet. But they could buy 16 Asda paracetamol 500mg caplets for just 30p (1.9p a tablet). Both products contain 500mg of paracetamol. SAVING: 17.4p per tablet.
- HULA-VA DIFFERENCE: The own-brand version of Hula Hoops at Aldi looks and tastes just like the original — because it is made by the same firm, KP Snacks. So why pay more? Aldi’s sell at 99p for ten 25g bags. Meanwhile, KP’s normally cost around £1.60 for a seven pack of 24g bags. SAVING: 61p – plus three more BIGGER bags per multi-pack.
- LIQUID GOLD: If buying custard, go own-brand at Tesco to make savings. Both Tesco ready-to-serve custard (39p for 400g) and favourite Ambrosia Devon Custard (99p for 400g at Tesco) are made by Premier Foods — but have big price differences. SAVING: 60p.
- All prices on page correct at time of going to press. Deals/offers subject to availability.
Deal of the day
DEBENHAMS has a fantastic sale on children’s toys right now. Get 20 per cent off Little Tikes’ easy store slide, now £68. Was £85.
STOCK up your fridge at Sainsbury’s where a pack of six Coca-Cola original taste is down to £3 from £3.80, until Tuesday.
My Sun Savers fiver
MAXINE STRONG from Ibstock, Leics, says: “I used my Sun Savers fivers to help with my daughter’s school trip.”
- Share your Savers fiver stories at sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Please include your name and town.
BEAUTY fans are raving over Aldi’s £5.99 Lacura pink clay mask. They reckon it is just as good as Sand & Sky’s £39.90 version.
Reader's saving tip
JUNE PEACOCK, from Bradford, says: “Use washing-up liquid and a bit of sugar to get oil and grease off your hands – it’s a lot cheaper than buying things like Swarfega.”
- Share your tips at sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if your idea is used. Please include your name and town.
How do I get my FREE Shrek's Adventure! London or London Dungeon tickets?
Simply download the Sun Savers app or sign up at sunsavers.co.uk. Then click 'Start Collecting' on the 'Shrek's Adventure! London & the London Dungeon' page found in the 'Offers' section.
Next, collect NINE Sun Savers codes from the 18 printed daily in The Sun newspaper between Saturday, June 1 and Tuesday, June 18.
Lastly enter your NINE Sun Savers codes on the Sun Savers app or website to unlock booking.
Once you click 'Book' you will receive an e-mail with a unique booking code and steps on how to book a date and time at your chosen attractions website.
Or you can book by collecting TEN differently numbered tokens from the 18 printed daily in The Sun between Saturday, June 1 and Tuesday, June 18.
Then post your tokens back to us along with the booking form found in paper on Saturday, June 1 or online at superdays.thesun.co.uk. We will then e-mail you a unique booking code and steps on how to book a date and time at your chosen attractions website.
But for those who choose to collect for their free tickets with Sun Savers, you will get the chance to book a day earlier than everyone else, meaning you will get the very best choice of dates and times.
Dates and times are available for Shrek's Adventure! London or the London Dungeon between Sunday, June 9 and Thursday, October 31.
Plus, if you want to make your day out even bigger, you will also have the chance to purchase additional tickets to the Coca-Cola London Eye for £10.00.
Claim a £10 Tesco voucher
SUN Savers has teamed up with Switchcraft – the hassle-free route to cheaper energy. Not only will you save money on your energy bills but we will give you a free £10 Tesco voucher when you sign up and switch with Switchcraft.
The Switchcraft technology works 24/7 to keep you on a great plan. It compares energy prices so you never need to use comparison sites again. For more choice, it checks the widest range of suppliers, including “Big Six” energy companies, independents and solar-powered operators.
From finding a new deal to telling your current supplier you want to switch, Switchcraft does the hard work for you. It takes just three minutes to sign up and you only need a few details to start.
When your deal comes to an end, Switchcraft emails you details of your energy plan. If you do not like it, you will not be switched and Switchcraft will find you a different option. If you do like what is found, your switch is timed so you never pay exit fees.
Visit the offers section of Sun Savers to sign-up and get your free £10 voucher. You must be a Sun Savers member to get this great offer. Not already a Sun Savers member? Then join Sun Savers today and you could get FREE cash just for picking up your favourite paper.
Sun Savers is our fantastic rewards club which gives readers the chance of getting free cash, treats and prizes. For every 28 Sun Savers codes you collect, we will give you a free fiver. Sun Savers codes are printed in the paper every day.
Find your Sun Savers code then enter it on our free app or sunsavers.co.uk. Once you have entered your 28th code, we will stick £5 in your wallet. To get the Sun Savers app, go to the app store and search “Sun Savers”. Enter your name, date of birth and email to get started.
Play now to win £50,000 on The Sun Raffle
Play now to win £50k in the Sun Raffle. JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Raffle today!
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
- All prices on page correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Source: Read Full Article